Potential Transmission Issue, Won't shift out of 4x4 mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btkeenan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

so my issue occurred once before a month or so ago and went away by itself after fiddling between the different drive modes but this time around I was not able to repeat the same steps as before with any success. Switching from 2H to 4L or 4H is no problem. Car reacts as it should when doing this. However the problem arises when going in the opposite direction from 4L or 4H to 2H. When switching from 4L to 2H, it stops at 4H and shifts as expected but stops there and does not proceed to 2H. When flipping the dial from 2H to 4H, and then back to 2H, it refuses to put it into 2wd. I pulled the dashcam footage of some of the sounds I was hearing which sounded like the transmission grinding. Long story short, I left it in 4H and limped it to the local Ford dealership in Alhambra and told them what had happened. They took a look and called me later in the day saying that they were unable to duplicate the problem but that it was in fact back in 2H.... Keep in mind when switching between the different drive modes, I was in neutral on a flattish surface.

If anyone with more experience or insight it would be greatly appreciated. I want to go back to the dealer and take them for a ride showing them how and whats happening. They said they do not take videos as evidence of a problem so this video would fall on blind eyes.

Definitely don't want a problem like this arising when out in the middle of the desert.

Here is the video for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get this resolved? This just happened to me out in Ocotillo and after about 5 min of flipping back and forth between 4x4 and 2h it switched. However, upon the initial switch the transfer case sounded like a bunch of marbles in a metal can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
btkeenan

btkeenan

Reaction score
Did you ever get this resolved? This just happened to me out in Ocotillo and after about 5 min of flipping back and forth between 4x4 and 2h it switched. However, upon the initial switch the transfer case sounded like a bunch of marbles in a metal can!

I did not unfortunately. When I have to take it to get serviced in a month I'll try it again and try to replicate so they can see it. Just had the sunroof and passenger seat rails replaced under warranty last month.

BigMikeVP

Reaction score
Might be a couple of things. Debris in your 4wd check valve would cause it to stick or not engage. vacuum leak. hub issue. transfer case itself. Transfer case motor. etc. better to have it checked out if you dont know what your doing. good luck!

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this exact same issue "getting stuck shifting out of 4x4 , more so 4low". Just picked the truck up from the dealer, evidently a circlip that holds the transfer case main planetary broke causing internal failure on all internals. Advisor said it's somewhat common, they just repaired another one last week. Covered under warranty, supposedly with a improved circlip. Out of warranty cost would be $2800.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BTKeenan,
This is a transfer case or 4 WD problem; not transmission.
Check for vacuum leaks; when there is a vacuum leak the IWE's default to the 4 WD position...(please note that the moron from Moro states otherwise)....Thus when there is not sufficient vacuum you are stuck in 4WD. This is not uncommon. Significantly cheaper to fix than a broken transfer case
4 HI and 4 LOW are the two 4 WD power outputs from the transfer case. The other power output is 2 HI.
As stated above you can have damage in the transfer case; this is big $$$$.
Chase a vacuum leak, and keep your fingers crossed. Best of luck!

Eddie

ICLOSEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a vacuum leak like stated above. I had the same exact issue. new lines and no more problems.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you shouldnt be in neutral shifting from 4h to 2h.....

you only want to be in neutral going into 4lo because thats using a whole different gearset.
to change the tcase from 4hi to 2hi just disconnects the front end.

putting your truck in neutral will lose valuable senor information the truck counts on to do 4wd on the fly.

shumie

Reaction score
good day I am new to the forum, my question, I have a problem shifting into 4x4 I have gathered what the problem can be reading other posts, how do I override the system to engage 4x4 until I van find a replacement solenoid.