2011, Scab, PA Inspection Failed Shocks.... Testing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junk 2JZ

Reaction score
Hey guys, did a littke searching but I couldn’t really find what I’m looking for. I took my truck in for PA inspection and they failed the front left shock, and the front right is almost going to fail. No visible oil anywhere. So my question is.. How would a shop be able to diagnose when the shock is bad? I know most people say there is bump steer etc. But is there a way that a shop (which has probably never worked on one before) would be able to test them? They didn’t give a reason why they failed. But I guess I should find out. I planned on getting them rebuilt anyway, but I have a fear that even rebuilt it might feel different than other trucks, so it would fail again.

Truck:
2011 with all stock suspension and tire size etc, on the low perch from factory. 91K miles, unsure if they’ve ever been rebuilt. Just bought the truck a little bit ago.

Inspection center:
Jack Williams

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Despite the 91K miles, there is a possibility that the state test does not allow for nearly 12 inches of wheel travel and that they really can't test your suspension. However, I would think that a Ford dealership could assess the health of your shocks with greater reliability. The question is whether the state would accept a dealership's assessment.

OP
OP
J

Junk 2JZ

Reaction score
Yeah I should have mentioned it was a Jack Williams that did the inspection. Which was my first error.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
dude, i feel for the bros with inspections and emissions.

i can light my shit on fire in my front yard if i wanted.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's ********, I think they are trying to make money, since they are the one that have to fix them (replace) to pass your truck. With that said at 91k miles they are probably blown to pieces. But again how do they determine it?
What kind expertise they have when it comes to Raptor suspension. Nice try ******* Williams.

OP
OP
J

Junk 2JZ

Reaction score
That's ********, I think they are trying to make money, since they are the one that have to fix them (replace) to pass your truck. With that said at 91k miles they are probably blown to pieces. But again how do they determine it?
What kind expertise they have when it comes to Raptor suspension. Nice try ******* Williams.

Yup that's pretty much what I figured. And granted I know they need to be rebuilt which is going to happen this summer. But the truck doesn't bounce, bump steer etc. So nothing would alert them to say they are bad. I ended up going somewhere else and they passed it. But I think I'll have to see what they failed it for exactly. They always find something wrong, Either that or maybe they wanted a set of front shocks to sell after they rebuild them lol

But that was more a less what I had been looking to find out. What says pass or fail. Which sounds like it's more up to the tech then anything.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

dude, i feel for the bros with inspections and emissions.

i can light my shit on fire in my front yard if i wanted.

Yeah man, even legitimate legal stuff is hard to get passed sometimes. Everyone's always worried about loosing their license etc. So a lot of places won't even do anything that's not run of the mill. Or if they do they'll fail it at the fist sight of anything being questionable.

OP
OP
J

Junk 2JZ

Reaction score
Glad you had it all worked out.

Thanks!!

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something when they failed it for what I thought was no real reason... And it seems to be pointing in that direction.

keywestjeff

Reaction score
I talked to fox they reccommend rebuild at 55000 miles they rebuild thrm 140 per shock

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk