GEN 2 Wastegate Actuator Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone can develop bigger turbo outlets, surely someone can develop a non-rattling actuator!

This issue is nobody seems to recognize this exists. Now a few of us do, likely 1 - 5 percent of raptor owners. Most seem clueless or happy with it, either way. I hate this rattle.

Those that think their isnt rattling need to cold start their trucks in the quite and sit down beside them for 20 minutes and listen. It will probably rattle. It happens while warm as well. I heard mine the night I brought it home.

I have a hypersensitive ear. I find noises with all my vehicles that others never hear until I show them. Its called OC ******* D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This issue is nobody seems to recognize this exists. Now a few of us do, likely 1 - 5 percent of raptor owners. Most seem clueless or happy with it, either way. I hate this rattle.

Those that think their isnt rattling need to cold start their trucks in the quite and sit down beside them for 20 minutes and listen. It will probably rattle. It happens while warm as well. I heard mine the night I brought it home.

I have a hypersensitive ear. I find noises with all my vehicles that others never hear until I show them. Its called OC ******* D.

I suffered from OCD...then I had twins and no longer have time for that shit. Hope it never comes back as it's a bitch when it's in full effect! Good luck.....[emoji6]

jakeO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wast gate makes a loud click noise when fully opening. the rattle you hear it the fuel injectors. They are under a ton to psi in a direct injected motor. My 2006 mazdaspeed 6 inline 4 DI turbo sounds the same way (ford ecoboost predecessor ) start it and hold that linkage down .

O and don't forget the cam driven fuel pump they are loud also my 2012 f150 eco had a large foam block covering it

frenchbritt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, became a new member solely to figure out this wastegate rattle, so this is my first post. However I think you all are right on with the wastegate rattle and thank you @MJslasherADMIN for the original video.

Here is a service write up I found from ford on how to fix the issue. I'm happy to see that they've acknowledged it from a service perspective and actually put out a solution. Looks like you need to order a "wastegate linkage spring kit", part #HL3Z-9G488-C. Link below.

From the bulletin:

"Issue: Some 2017 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a rattle type noise from the engine compartment under various operating conditions. This noise may be due to excessive play in the turbocharger wastegate linkage. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to install the wastegate linkage spring kit.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria: • 2017 F-150 • 3.5L EcoBoost engine • Customer concern of rattle type noise from the engine compartment under various operating conditions"

DaveRseattle

Reaction score
Finally! This noise has been annoying me for a couple years. Thanks for doing the research and for the info man. I hate rolling through a bank drive through with my truck sounding like one of the exhaust shields is about to fall off, it drives me nuts. Did you actually get the fix done? I’m going to give it a try.

noorj

Reaction score
Hi everyone, became a new member solely to figure out this wastegate rattle, so this is my first post. However I think you all are right on with the wastegate rattle and thank you @MJslasherADMIN for the original video.

Here is a service write up I found from ford on how to fix the issue. I'm happy to see that they've acknowledged it from a service perspective and actually put out a solution. Looks like you need to order a "wastegate linkage spring kit", part #HL3Z-9G488-C. Link below.

From the bulletin:

"Issue: Some 2017 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a rattle type noise from the engine compartment under various operating conditions. This noise may be due to excessive play in the turbocharger wastegate linkage. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to install the wastegate linkage spring kit.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria: • 2017 F-150 • 3.5L EcoBoost engine • Customer concern of rattle type noise from the engine compartment under various operating conditions"
Great find! Have you or anyone else installed this kit and verified it eliminates the wastegate rattle?

I've tried the "spring fix" with the hillman spring 543183 and it maybe helped a bit at cold start but I can definitely still hear the rattle at light loads.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, finally an acknowledgement by Ford that this annoying rattle exists! I posted here a couple of years ago and took it into my LFD, Ford said it was normal (back then) and wouldn’t do anything about it! Been very frustrating hearing my truck rattle all the time. Suspect dealer was listening for the cam phaser rattle at cold start. I’m taking it in and thank you. To be honest, I’ve already ordered a new Bronco and a lot of my motivation was due to this constant annoying/embarrassing rattle and now I‘M starting to get the cam phaser rattle about once a week . Unfortunately have read that the 2.7L is also having the cam phaser rattle as well as the (albeit infrequent) valve grenade issue. Want to stay with big blue but having 2nd thoughts. Have a 2018 Raptor and still under 5yr power train warranty (only 39k miles) so going to have LFD look at that as well.