Transfer Case Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Two Dogs

Reaction score
Ok, here's the latest:

Ford has instructed the servicing dealership to build a new transfer case (all new parts, but they'll build it in house at the dealer) and fix the truck.

I've also been in touch with some of the higher up customer service reps, and they've authorized a trade assist on the truck. I'm not sure if this is actually going to work out, but the dealership I originally purchased the truck from is trying to find me a replacement vehicle or put in allocation for a new Raptor order to replace the current vehicle.

It's not a lemon law issue - I haven't talked legal action of any sort with Ford or the dealerships, and I'm quite a ways away from that. In this case, Ford is exercising a goodwill option to help me get into a new truck considering the circumstance (being stranded 1000 miles from home initially and out a substantial sum from my bank account).

There are limitations on what the trade assist will cover, so I'm not holding my breath, but I'd obviously be pretty happy if Ford and the dealership could figure out a way to get me a new truck. Will keep you posted on what happens.

Specs on truck?

OP
OP
W

wasabigrinch

Reaction score
I suppose it all depends on timeline and options. If I can get a brand new truck in a relatively short amount of time, of course I'd opt for that in lieu of a new transfer case build. If it's going to be several months difference, I'll just push for an extended service plan on the current truck.

I love the current truck, but if someone offers me a new one with expedited shipping, etc. it would be stupid not to take it.

Current truck is Gen 2 Avalanche, 802A, Tech Package, Beadlocks, Twin Moonroof, Tailgate Applique, Heated 2nd-row seats, Heated Steering Wheel, and Spray-in Bedliner.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford should get you a brand new t-case. They replaced a transmission for another member here. They should expedite one for you. The mechanic might be very good with rebuilds though. The factory one was built wrong in some manner, so it could be a crap shoot. Hope they fix it quickly though.

82Kuba

Reaction score
If Ford is willing to give you a new truck I say go for that option. Even if you have to wait. God only knows what else is wrong with that truck. Plus Rebuilding the case and not supplying a new one is ******** . You paid for a new truck not a rebuilt one. I would be ok with them swapping out the entire case for a new one but rebuilding it always leaves a what if. This is an all new case so they can have their most experienced tech work on it , it's still going to be his first time working on this part. Also, if the parts "exploded" as you mentioned , who knows what other damage it cause to the interior of that case that could cause tolerance issues. Good luck brother..

Last edited:

nh rapta owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Ford is willing to give you a new truck I say go for that option. Even if you have to wait. God only knows what else is wrong with that truck. Plus Rebuilding the case and not supplying a new one is ******** . You paid for a new truck not a rebuilt one. I would be ok with them swapping out the entire case for a new one but rebuilding it always leaves a what if. This is an all new case so they can have their most experienced tech work on it , it's still going to be his first time working on this part. Also, if the parts "exploded" as you mentioned , who knows what other damage it cause to the interior of that case that could cause tolerance issues. Good luck brother..

Ya what he said.

OP
OP
W

wasabigrinch

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's basically what I've been thinking. Worst case scenario, all the work is under warranty obviously, but I'd prefer not to spend my first few months with the truck in and out of the shop. Thanks for the support and insight!

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did it sound like? I think mine is going too but I'm at 11k miles

They don't last forever...

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Ok, here's the latest:

Ford has instructed the servicing dealership to build a new transfer case (all new parts, but they'll build it in house at the dealer) and fix the truck.

I've also been in touch with some of the higher up customer service reps, and they've authorized a trade assist on the truck. I'm not sure if this is actually going to work out, but the dealership I originally purchased the truck from is trying to find me a replacement vehicle or put in allocation for a new Raptor order to replace the current vehicle.

It's not a lemon law issue - I haven't talked legal action of any sort with Ford or the dealerships, and I'm quite a ways away from that. In this case, Ford is exercising a goodwill option to help me get into a new truck considering the circumstance (being stranded 1000 miles from home initially and out a substantial sum from my bank account).

There are limitations on what the trade assist will cover, so I'm not holding my breath, but I'd obviously be pretty happy if Ford and the dealership could figure out a way to get me a new truck. Will keep you posted on what happens.

I had a brand new truck grenade a motor 6 days after purchase. Ford offered a "trade assist" that covered the difference in me trading "new" 6 day old truck for another truck on lot at net $0 cost to me. Everyone was satisfied.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the trade assist is the best option to me. Man this whole thing sucks for ya! I don't care how great the folks are at building it back, forget a brand new rebuilt truck! New tranny to replace or new truck, take your pick Ford. Also, I want something to drive till then. Just my 2 cents Good luck!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they'll put a new transfer case in, do it. It's not a tough swap, especially on a practically new vehicle. Any exhaust/bolts that needs to come off hasn't rusted yet, the transfer case is last in line before the driveshafts, which just unbolt from the axle yokes. As far as major pieces of drive line being replaced go, the transfer case is by far the easiest and cleanest to deal with. I'll bet they can't get a new one for quite a while though.