Transfer Case Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow that sucks. Hope they get it fixed fast for you. I'm going to be making a 2000 mile trip like yours in a couple of weeks to get my new truck. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

OP
OP
W

wasabigrinch

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I'll keep you posted on what happens. Supposed to hear from some higher ups tomorrow, and I'll probably give the dealership a call as well.

Best of luck on your trip - was a great truck to drive while it worked!

OP
OP
W

wasabigrinch

Reaction score
Talked to the servicing dealership again today. As of right now, they are still waiting on input from Ford regarding parts and procedure. I guess their initial suggestion was to rebuild the transfer case from other parts, but the dealer advised against that and requested a replacement (thankfully).

I left a couple messages for the executive team, and I'll probably call a few other contacts today if possible. I don't know that there's much I can do to help move things along, but I figured I'd keep reaching out.

KentSD

www.BookBaja.com Baja yacht Support
Reaction score
What did it sound like? I think mine is going too but I'm at 11k miles

nh rapta owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to the servicing dealership again today. As of right now, they are still waiting on input from Ford regarding parts and procedure. I guess their initial suggestion was to rebuild the transfer case from other parts, but the dealer advised against that and requested a replacement (thankfully).

I left a couple messages for the executive team, and I'll probably call a few other contacts today if possible. I don't know that there's much I can do to help move things along, but I figured I'd keep reaching out.

no parts or procedure you want new and nothing else period.....

OP
OP
W

wasabigrinch

Reaction score
What did it sound like? I think mine is going too but I'm at 11k miles

I noticed a gear grinding noise when I put it into park - an unpleasant mechanical ratcheting that would last 3 - 5 seconds. That's the only noise I heard, and that was after losing power to the wheels.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

no parts or procedure you want new and nothing else period.....

Do you mean new transfer case or new truck? I don't know what's reasonable here, but after spending $73k, I would like to have a working truck in my driveway in the next two weeks.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t like to be the wet blanket, but I don’t think there’s enough spares in inventory to ensure a less than 2 week turnaround for component replacement or whole unit ( transfer case ) replacement. There’s been 2 or 3 fairly well publicized transmission failures documented on FRF and they were closer to a month. I’m not saying that’s right, I’m saying that might be closer to reality.

Also, Ford isn’t going to mech replace a truck with any significant miles on it - literally, if it didn’t stop working within a block or 2 of the dealership on the ride home, that’s off the table. Keep in mind, the dealer “bought” the truck from Ford, you in turn bought the truck from the dealer.

If you financed and you financed through Ford Credit, you could have a legitimate claim for them to credit you the amount if the truck is down for more than 2 weeks. Keep in mind, if they compensate you; that is, provide you a loaner, or pay the monthly payment for you, that could jeopardize a subsequent lemon law claim in court, if it ever goes that far. state laws vary, and you are not there yet.

That said, I would definitely be pushing for something, given the circumstances, but until or unless you pass a month of down time, there is no financial interest for the manufacturer to entertain the concept of a vehicle replacement.

Your best bet is to keep the dealer on your side as an advocate. Be understanding beyond reason, be engaged, but not a pest. Be courteous to everyone you meet at the dealer from the lowliest porter, to the owner and everyone in between. MAKE them want to help you because you are a super nice guy. Don’t even suggest legal moves, don’t try to threaten or hold anything over their heads, just deal honestly, forthrightly and get as much in writing or - if legal by the circumstances, recorded. Make your plight personal to the dealer who is repairing the truck.

IF things go really, really south, then seek a lawyer’s help / advice. Here’s what I would suggest. Have a private, one on one conversation with both the mechanic and service manager. Tell them in no uncertain terms that this is not for attribution, no quotes and anything said is 100% anonymous. Ask them point blank - what can you do personally to help drive the issue to resolution as fast as possible. You know you can’t change physics, is there anyone to contact, who can help you all get the repair done fastest?

A lot of times these people know who the right people are and deal with them frequently but the customer either has to ask or have a significantly compelling reason for an “escalation”.

It’s easy for us here on the internet here to be detached from this, we’re not the ones impacted by this. I’m not meaning to preach to you here, but try your best to keep a level head look at the big picture before taking any actions.

Good luck..

Mcb66

Reaction score
I noticed a gear grinding noise when I put it into park - an unpleasant mechanical ratcheting that would last 3 - 5 seconds. That's the only noise I heard, and that was after losing power to the wheels.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Do you mean new transfer case or new truck? I don't know what's reasonable here, but after spending $73k, I would like to have a working truck in my driveway in the next two weeks.

That noise was the the transmission bouncing on the parking post. No drive through the tcase meant the transmission was still coasting when you went to park.

OP
OP
W

wasabigrinch

Reaction score
Ok, here's the latest:

Ford has instructed the servicing dealership to build a new transfer case (all new parts, but they'll build it in house at the dealer) and fix the truck.

I've also been in touch with some of the higher up customer service reps, and they've authorized a trade assist on the truck. I'm not sure if this is actually going to work out, but the dealership I originally purchased the truck from is trying to find me a replacement vehicle or put in allocation for a new Raptor order to replace the current vehicle.

It's not a lemon law issue - I haven't talked legal action of any sort with Ford or the dealerships, and I'm quite a ways away from that. In this case, Ford is exercising a goodwill option to help me get into a new truck considering the circumstance (being stranded 1000 miles from home initially and out a substantial sum from my bank account).

There are limitations on what the trade assist will cover, so I'm not holding my breath, but I'd obviously be pretty happy if Ford and the dealership could figure out a way to get me a new truck. Will keep you posted on what happens.