Project THOR 2017 Raptor Build by RaptorCoastie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorCoastie

NorCal Raptor Runs
Reaction score
Thanks for checking out my build thread. This will be my second truck I have started from zero with and turned into something a bit more elaborate. Along with overlanding and camping, I am a bit of a prepper at heart and that mentality spills into my trucks. The goal is the same as before. To build a daily drivable vehicle that doubles as an extremely capable offroad truck as well as bug out vehicle if the need ever arose. The truck was built with a few parameters in mind and they're listed below, but before we start, I'd like to say that none of this would be possible without the tremendous help from my sponsors. Apollo Optics, Warn, MAXTRAX, and others have helped along the way to create this bad ass truck. Stay tuned with this project as you will see this truck at the Lucas Oil Offroad Expo, SEMA, and even an overlanding trip to the Arctic Circle in 2018.

Parameters:
I am currently active duty in the United States Coast Guard and stationed in the Northern California area. I'm originally from Southern CA so a large factor behind the truck is to have the ability to make the 500 mile drive between my two homes in case there was ever an emergency. This means the ability to do the drive safely, day or night, road or no road, seen or unseen. I don't think aliens are coming or the world is flat, but I think it's extremely smart to have a plan in case of economic collapse, societal breakdown, or a large scale natural disaster.

Realistic goals are important. And preparing for the largest number of foreseeable circumstances while still remaining realistic is paramount. The goal was to keep this truck "Grey man" or to appear less modified or capable than it really is. You will see this theme and others as we follow along with this build, starting with the trucks color choice, black. One of the most popular vehicle color choices as well as the most discrete in low light situations.

Currently, myself and my long time girlfriend are living in the Northern CA region. So the truck must be capable of sustaining two people for a minimum of 5 days. Though the drive to Southern CA should take no longer than 12-14 hours in a worst case scenario (Takes 7.5 on a normal day), it's important to expect to take less familiar and slower routes if need be. Food, water, fuel, shelter, and protection are all factors.

We can not forget this truck is a daily driven vehicle. 99% of it's life will be devoted to taking me from point A to point B every day, but it's that 1% that we should all prepare for. The things I add to or modify on this truck may not always be for "Prepping" but may just be added for style or comfort. I hope you enjoy the process and please ask any questions you may have. I will post updates and pictures as I go.

To start off, here's a photo of myself with the new truck the day I bought it. The dealership is Archie Cochrane Ford in Billings, Montana and they were a pleasure to work with.
cEZqsWh.jpg
The color black and having a SuperCrew cab for the extra room were both factors behind the truck. The Raptor also came with the 802A package, moonroof, Tech package, beadlock wheels, and more.

First up on the modification scale are a few cosmetics. Removing the factory license plate bulbs and installing LEDs, a Craven speed stubby antenna instead of the factory tall antenna, a NuShield DayVue screen protector, American flag decals on the fender area (because MRKA), 22" RainEater Element wiper blades, BuiltRight Industries rear seat latch, and jumping the auto start/stop switch to "always off" were the first things completed on the second night of owning the truck.

After that, I did remove the factory beadlock wells and replace them with Method NV 17x8.5. I got these from Apollo Optics. Again, a lightly cosmetic change over function.
dgUInuX.jpg

Currently, the truck is at the shop getting LLumar Safety and Security Film installed on every window. The film prevents not only the common "smash and grab" robbery, but also will protect occupants from baseball bats, crowbars, thrown objects, and even shotgun and 9mm. This is being topped with LLumar ceramic tint for privacy. Pictures of this to come shortly!

Up in the next two weeks: Line-X the bed, ADD Intercooler Relocation Kit, Warn ZEON 10-S Platinum, Baja Designs lighting, VIAIR 400H, RPG coil spacers, SPD turbo adapter, Dynamat as well as SecondSkin deadener, and Tuffy Underseat storage.

Later on will be a full custom bed rack, CVT tent, Engel MT45, AT drawer system and more.

Jack_Toepfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the new wheels, but you'd rather have a shiny wheel instead of one designed to run at very low tire pressures in your prepper truck? Seems like you'd want redundancy at the single point of contact to the ground to make sure that you can continue on your journey than to have another shiny part.
I'll second that thought on your stubby antenna... intentionally decreasing the range on what could be your only contact with civilization? HAM isn't going to do you much good unless someone else is using it. Everyone uses AM/FM.

Looking into LLumar, sounds awesome.

OP
OP
RaptorCoastie

RaptorCoastie

NorCal Raptor Runs
Reaction score
I love the new wheels, but you'd rather have a shiny wheel instead of one designed to run at very low tire pressures in your prepper truck? Seems like you'd want redundancy at the single point of contact to the ground to make sure that you can continue on your journey than to have another shiny part.
I'll second that thought on your stubby antenna... intentionally decreasing the range on what could be your only contact with civilization? HAM isn't going to do you much good unless someone else is using it. Everyone uses AM/FM.

Looking into LLumar, sounds awesome.

Lol. I never intended on buying the actual beadlock ring from Ford. And those wheels designed to run at very low tire pressure aren't worth a shit without that part. You can look at it from the stand point of yes, it's another option in my tool bag, but it's also another part that can break. I never planned on running beadlocks, and have very little foreseeable use of them. There are no beaches near my major routes and I'm not in a location near snow. If I were to go offroad, the pressures required would be completely fine to run on a regular wheel. Also, the idea of being able to leave quickly is important. As much as I hate the term, the truck will be able to "bug out" within an hour. I don't planning on slapping beadlock rings on their and dumping my tire pressure down to 8-10 PSI just to roll down the freeway.

To your comment about the stubby antenna. You're right, it may slightly lessen the AM/FM receiving range for my truck, but the same broadcasted messages will be all over VFH (Which is where my ICOM 880H comes in) and CB radio (CB radio will be hooked up as well). Both of which have a weather channel in addition. Not everyone uses AM/FM. The only positive I see would be in receiving mass directives from something like the government in a SHTF situation. But to actually communicate with someone else, VFH is far superior. The VFH radio will be programmed to use channels specific to my location.

I just picked up the truck with the tint complete. Seems very solid from what I can tell. I enjoy the Air Blue 80 on the windshield and the side windows/rear window has a more solid thump to it when tapping. Though that could be just my imagination. I don't plan on "testing" my windows, but I'll trust the test that have been done. It did seem a bit quieter though. I'm really looking forward to seeing how quiet the truck gets once I get not only the Angel Armor inserts in the doors and Bulldog kevlar panels in the rear wall but also the SecondSkin Overkill and Dynamat on the doors and floorboard.

Last edited:

Jack_Toepfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, wasn't implying that you would need them to air down (though I guess you never know) but more so having the flexibility to do so.
More updates please :)

OP
OP
RaptorCoastie

RaptorCoastie

NorCal Raptor Runs
Reaction score
Small update since the LLumar tint has gone on. The side windows with the LLumar Safety and Security tint feel more solid than the windshield which is 2 pieces laminated with SoundScreen and the Air Blue 80 on top. Pretty neat stuff. Next up is the Baja Designs Squadron kit, Line-X the bed, ADD Intercooler Relocation kit and the RPG collar. I wanted everything to happen a little faster but both the lighting kit and the intercooler kit are in high demand right now. So those will have to wait. Stay tuned for a nice detailing tomorrow (First wash) as well as the rendering by KEG Media at the end of the week. It will show what the finished product will look like!
Here's something to hold you over:
wQ301Tw.jpg