GEN 1 Power steering pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjparsons

Reaction score
I'm started getting inconsistent steering feel in my truck recently. Sometimes it's stiff to turn the wheel and sometimes it gets very easy to turn. Could this be a pump issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mjparsons

Mjparsons

Reaction score
Yes, first step is check your fluid levels...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Fluid levels are solid. Now that I'm paying more attention it feels wobbly now if the steering wheel is centered, like theirs a little play left and right. But definitely feels firmer at times and easier to turn at other times.

D

Deleted member 12951

Check the rack too. Lift the front and grab the tire from 9 to 3 and see if the tie rod seems loose where is goes in the rack. Best to have someone hold the steering wheel. Had a similar issue and I had to move the boot on the tie rod out so I could see how it was reacting in the rack. Got the rack replaced under warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Mjparsons

Mjparsons

Reaction score
I'll have the rack checked out for sure. It's hard to tell what's causing it. Could be shocks needing rebuild, pump, or rack. Or all 3.

OP
OP
Mjparsons

Mjparsons

Reaction score
Ok so I just had my pump replaced after having my steering get very stiff last week. It was leaking so they replaced it but my steering still feels stiff. Can't tell if it's supposed to be this way or if something is still in need of repair.

thearizonacowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why I would be getting random vibrations in the wheel? Turning in parking lots will do it. I've beat the hell out of it, jumped it maybe 100 times in a couple months and it hasn't gotten worse or better. Fluid looks fine and at the proper level.