GEN 1 A few Questions before I take the Plunge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So, I am ready to take the supercharger plunge. I have a 2011 SCREW with 30K miles. Not a whole lot of off-roading, but I take every chance I can. (Living in Nebraska with such a capable truck and limited places to go really sucks.)

My Plans:

1. Air Raid CAI
2. Kooks Full Exhaust, Headers to exhaust tips.
3. Whipple Supercharger with the heat exchanger upgrade and oil pump
gears and JDM Tuner.

My questions are:

1. Is the Kooks Full exhaust going to be too loud? Looking to be close to the original. We do take the truck o trips at times and I do not want to listen to drone cruising down the Highway.
2. I pull a 27' camper a couple of times each summer, about a 800 mile round trip. Since the Kooks goes straight out the back, is that going to make a lot of racket bouncing off of the camper? Should I have exhaust that exits out the sides?
3. Is there anything I need to do about the transmission? Is it capable of handling the extra HP/TQ of the Supercharger?
4. Do I want 47lb injectors? 60lb? Keep in mind, 80% of driving is on the streets, day to day stuff.
5. Is the JDM Tuner the one I want? I will be doing all the work myself, but I will probably be ordering everything through JDM. From everything I've read, they have the process down pretty good.
6. Am I forgetting anything? I know there are a lot of guys out there with close to this same set-up and am looking to them for advise.

Pretty much I am looking to "bolt on" all of my build. I do not want to get too much more into the motor than changing out the gears for the oil pump, which I hear is highly advisable with a Whipple. Thanks for any advise.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JDM's 650 kit is well respected around here. Lot of guys are running it.

I was looking for a bit more power so I went another route. Details in build thread (link in signature).

Here's the kooks true dual set up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9BzWKSrhhg

I think it sounds great and those who have it have reported no drone. I've never heard in person so can't say any more than that.

Lots of supercharged guys on this board. Have not heard of any transmission failures. Only one guy I know of upgraded the transmission (there are good parts out there) but his truck is a custom built stroker with almost 800 at the rear, so he had an obvious need for it.

For what it's worth, my mechanic has built a lot of Raptors and told me it was absolutely not necessary to upgrade the transmission. Seems to be holding up just fine so far (little over 5k since building mine).

*edit* forgot to mention my truck has the 60 lb fuel injectors, which Whipple recommends.

Last edited:

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add my .02 on the Kooks. I have the complete setup from headers to the true duels. Quiet as a church mouse at highway speeds. Deep throaty exhaust note when mashing the skinny pedal. Love it and wouldn't change a thing. JDM is the way to go. I've bought all my exhaust through them and plan on the power adder later this year. I've talked to Jim on it and was most helpful. Answered all my questions (similar to yours) and treated me as a customer rather than a number. Definitely give him a call.

OP
OP
NUTHINGOESRITE
Reaction score

I was looking for a bit more power so I went another route. Details in build thread (link in signature).

I think it sounds great and those who have it have reported no drone. I've never heard in person so can't say any more than that.

Lots of supercharged guys on this board. Have not heard of any transmission failures. Only one guy I know of upgraded the transmission (there are good parts out there) but his truck is a custom built stroker with almost 800 at the rear, so he had an obvious need for it.

For what it's worth, my mechanic has built a lot of Raptors and told me it was absolutely not necessary to upgrade the transmission. Seems to be holding up just fine so far (little over 5k since building mine).

*edit* forgot to mention my truck has the 60 lb fuel injectors, which Whipple recommends.

I'll add my .02 on the Kooks. I have the complete setup from headers to the true duels. Quiet as a church mouse at highway speeds. Deep throaty exhaust note when mashing the skinny pedal. Love it and wouldn't change a thing. JDM is the way to go. I've bought all my exhaust through them and plan on the power adder later this year. I've talked to Jim on it and was most helpful. Answered all my questions (similar to yours) and treated me as a customer rather than a number. Definitely give him a call.

Thanks for your input guys. Another thing I forgot to ask the Supercharged gang, do I need to add the heat exchanger since I occasionally pull a pretty big camper? (Pretty big for a 1/2 ton.)

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
An HE is required for all Forced Air Induction regardless what you plan on doing.
And the new Whipple HD HE will give you the best intercooling available.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the big HE and I went an extra step and put in a larger aftermarket radiator. Probably overkill but heat is what kills an engine so I figured it was (relatively) cheap insurance while my truck was already apart to put in the billet oil pump gears.

keywestjeff

Reaction score

Have a roush super charger 2 trannys 2 transfer case later thinkin of getting rid of the super charger

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have a roush super charger 2 trannys 2 transfer case later thinkin of getting rid of the super charger

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Yikes. Can you share more about your setup? Who tuned it?

And what failed in the tranny?