PIAA RF Series LED Lamps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup, them's the ones.

Well, now I've got a question. What is the significance of "SAE compliant?" Does that mean that they're DOT street legal, or does it mean something else?

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Yup, them's the ones.

Well, now I've got a question. What is the significance of "SAE compliant?" Does that mean that they're DOT street legal, or does it mean something else?

I don't believe they are "street legal"
Would you get a ticket for driving with them on? Maybe.
I'm sure it all depends on the police officer pulling you over.
Personally I think if you aim it correctly and not blinding on coming traffic "MOST" cops won't bother you.
I've been driving around town with some Rigid style lights as fog/driving lights and I've never been pulled over. I aimed them lower as not to blind anyone.

What does SAE/DOT approved mean? Why it is so important?

By law, all headlights and tail lights must be DOT approved to be legal for use on all roads and highways in all 50 states of United States.
Head or tail lights without DOT approval are intend for off road use only, and are not legal for use on all US roads and highways.
So all DOT approved headlights and tail lights will stamp the word “DOT” on the lights to show law officers that they are street legal and complied with the transportation law.
DOT stands for Department of Transportation. It is the federal agency that set standards for car lightings. In order for head or tail light to be DOT approved,
the product must meet strict regulations, standards, specifications and tests. It is to ensure the product is safe to use in public, serve its purposes and provide adequate illumination.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) is a world wide organization that sets automotive standards for the manufacturing, testing and design of car lightings.
To be SAE approved, all headlights and tail lights must past certain standards, test procedures and material test; set by SAE to guide the quality of the product.

Note: SAE approved headlights and tail lights are not street legal in US, until they are approved by DOT. In short, SAE guide the quality of the product, and DOT
test the product to make sure it is fully complied with transportation law and approve for use in all US roads and highways.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is an excellent answer, Roger. Thank you!

I have sent PIAA an inquiry on their web site. Will post the response here if/when I get one.

Last edited:

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
From what I hear, DOT actually doesn't even regulate or approve anything that isn't an OEM headlight or fog light, so I'm still trying to get an answer as to how these companies are getting away with saying their lights are DOT approved. SAE I could understand because they regulate quality, but DOT i just don't get..

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the answer I received from PIAA:

Auxiliary lighting laws are not federally mandated. Some states only allow auxiliary lights with SAE stamping on the lens to be used legally on the street or the lights must be covered. Lighting laws vary from state to state and sometimes county to county, so check you local lighting laws first.

DOT is a self certification and is not normally used as a reference to determine whether or not a light is legal for street use.

Proper use of auxiliary lights is most important. Use driving lights with high beams and fog lights with low beams.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ok your talking about these, correct?
PM coming your way with pricing.

RF Series 3" LED Cube Light Driving Beam Kit, SAE Compliant
resize
piaa-07603-rf3-led-front-hr.jpg

Roger, do you still carry these? Is an amber fog pattern available? Price?

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't believe they are "street legal"

Would you get a ticket for driving with them on? Maybe.

I'm sure it all depends on the police officer pulling you over.

Personally I think if you aim it correctly and not blinding on coming traffic "MOST" cops won't bother you.

I've been driving around town with some Rigid style lights as fog/driving lights and I've never been pulled over. I aimed them lower as not to blind anyone.

What does SAE/DOT approved mean? Why it is so important?

By law, all headlights and tail lights must be DOT approved to be legal for use on all roads and highways in all 50 states of United States.

Head or tail lights without DOT approval are intend for off road use only, and are not legal for use on all US roads and highways.

So all DOT approved headlights and tail lights will stamp the word “DOT” on the lights to show law officers that they are street legal and complied with the transportation law.

DOT stands for Department of Transportation. It is the federal agency that set standards for car lightings. In order for head or tail light to be DOT approved,

the product must meet strict regulations, standards, specifications and tests. It is to ensure the product is safe to use in public, serve its purposes and provide adequate illumination.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) is a world wide organization that sets automotive standards for the manufacturing, testing and design of car lightings.

To be SAE approved, all headlights and tail lights must past certain standards, test procedures and material test; set by SAE to guide the quality of the product.

Note: SAE approved headlights and tail lights are not street legal in US, until they are approved by DOT. In short, SAE guide the quality of the product, and DOT

test the product to make sure it is fully complied with transportation law and approve for use in all US roads and highways.

In other words, more useless regulation from the DC swamp.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I seem to recall that the PIAA RF cubes were originally offered in both driving and fog configurations, but now only the driving lights are on the PIAA web site.

6 inch, 10 inch, and 18 inch models are available in fog, hybrid, and driving configurations, but the cubes are only available as driving lights.

NUTS.