Unknown noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorchief

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this question. So I just picked up my new to me 2011 Raptor. The truck has 27k miles on the ticker. So here is my dilemma. I have been hear what sounds to be like a rattling noise coming from the front left wheel area of the truck. It kind of sounds like heat shield rattle mixed grinding noise. It is pretty loud when it happens. It only makes the noise when performing light to moderate acceleration. It does not do it a parking lot speeds, only when driving around town. It will stop if I lift on the accelerator pedal or when I get to higher RPM (above 3500 RPM) under heavy acceleration. Once I am at highway speeds and lightly using throttle to maintain speeds, it goes away. Now here's the kicker. When I place the truck in 4wd, the noise is not there. I don't feel anything in the steering, gas pedal, transmission, or floor board. It is just a sound that is heard. I would appreciate any help that can be provided as to what this noise is. Thank you

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all the sheet metal heat shields around the exhaust. Could be a loose one, or one that has a rock sitting in it and making noise.

SeXualAVENGER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd guess iwe or vacuum line to the iwe. Iwe issues are well documented in the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Raptorchief

Raptorchief

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have checked all the heat shields and my next thing will be the IWE. Oh and I found out today that it only does it after I drive the truck for a few minutes.

Crash33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IWE may have a small leak... If they are pulling some vacuum, they may be partially engaged. Pull vacuum lines off hubs and see if it goes away. Then get a small handheld vacuum pump and see if lines hold a vacuum.

OP
OP
Raptorchief

Raptorchief

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to thank you all for the help. I went and bought a vacuum gauge/pump today. After reading the pressures at the pump and then comparing it to the vacuumed at the actuator I found out that it was a vacuum leak. I rednecked it until I get all the new hoses from the dealership on Tuesday.

P.S
The dealership offered me a job after seeing my redneck injenuity.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want to thank you all for the help. I went and bought a vacuum gauge/pump today. After reading the pressures at the pump and then comparing it to the vacuumed at the actuator I found out that it was a vacuum leak. I rednecked it until I get all the new hoses from the dealership on Tuesday.

P.S
The dealership offered me a job after seeing my redneck injenuity.
That doesn't say much for the dealership when they like McGyver repairs! Lol

Dicer07

Reaction score
right dont know if you solved that but..

ignore

had problem a while back on my right front had it at dealership for 2 weeks they kept saying it was my bumper rattling lmao but they were wrong like most of the time

anyways turned out to my front right cv axle had broke

if the noise is the same as what i had

the easiest way to tell is to pop it into 4x4 and if the noise stops you know its the cvaxle

Last edited:

mygreyf150

Reaction score
Just had the exact same problem! It was the vacuum lines for the 4 wheel drive system. easy fix! check the lines and find the one that is cracked or broken. The one line is a stiff plastic and from all the heat and cold they go really brittle and snap. I went to the auto parts store with a small piece of the rubber hose and a small piece of the plastic, found the same stuff and made a small fix. Bam no more noise !