Front end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's normal play that all of the trucks with E-lockers have. Ends up that is without a doubt normal, also without a doubt not my noise either, unfortunately.

Mine is definitely from the front. :flipthebird: you front end noise!

At least it's not a new problem. Mine is definitely front too and not from shock I agree with you on the noise :flipthebird:

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is so damn temperamental with temperature, I'm beginning to just chock it up to rubber bushings. When it is cold it is present and loud. When it is warm, you only hear it if all of the stars align.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate mine. It's far more present at lower speeds, but still does it all the time. Even tiny little bumps in the road: bump bump bump bump bump from the front end.

This expensive truck and it just sounds like a piece of crap as far as build quality.
Oh well. At least everything else about it is awesome.

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having the same problem lately. I've got Fox 3.0's on and it is definately from the front end. I notice it most over small bumps in the 20-35mph range. Sounds like the front end is completely loose but everything is tight. Had two different shops look at it and found nothing wrong. Even had @RLTW ride with me and he heard it a bit. I did notice on one side that the CV shaft might be hitting the lower shock mount but I have yet to confirm that. I'm putting the gopro under there tonight to see what I can see. All else fails Raptor X might tell me what is actually wrong with it lol!

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate mine. It's far more present at lower speeds, but still does it all the time. Even tiny little bumps in the road: bump bump bump bump bump from the front end.

This expensive truck and it just sounds like a piece of crap as far as build quality.
Oh well. At least everything else about it is awesome.

Exact Same Here

I've been having the same problem lately. I've got Fox 3.0's on and it is definately from the front end. I notice it most over small bumps in the 20-35mph range. Sounds like the front end is completely loose but everything is tight. Had two different shops look at it and found nothing wrong. Even had @RLTW ride with me and he heard it a bit. I did notice on one side that the CV shaft might be hitting the lower shock mount but I have yet to confirm that. I'm putting the gopro under there tonight to see what I can see. All else fails Raptor X might tell me what is actually wrong with it lol!

Post the video here once you do it por favor

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I found an old thread on another raptor site that has a lot of information to read. Search "annoying rattle in front end?"

It appears from all of this that some get lucky and tightening the lower bolt alleviates the issue. Others it appears they have to change the struts. As you read through it you will see that sometimes changing to FOX struts again alleviated the problem. However if the issue is indeed with the FOX struts to begin with, when I change I will not go back with FOX. I will go with Icon or King.

I may be wrong, but I believe anywhere I have seen someone upgraded to Icon or King, they had 0 issues with the noise/loose feeling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found an old thread on another raptor site that has a lot of information to read. Search "annoying rattle in front end?"

It appears from all of this that some get lucky and tightening the lower bolt alleviates the issue. Others it appears they have to change the struts. As you read through it you will see that sometimes changing to FOX struts again alleviated the problem. However if the issue is indeed with the FOX struts to begin with, when I change I will not go back with FOX. I will go with Icon or King.

I may be wrong, but I believe anywhere I have seen someone upgraded to Icon or King, they had 0 issues with the noise/loose feeling.

Like you said I haven't heard anything bad about the icons doing this but I did see a thread, can't remember where I think on here somewhere, that someone was having issues similar but with the kings. I'll try to find it for you. I did notice some play in my driver side upper ball joint but non in the passenger this last time I had it apart. I found some very well priced UCA on eBay claiming better strength and adjustment for 2 to 4 inch lifts/leveling kits I'm going to try and then also replace lower ball joints. Hopefully it helps

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like you said I haven't heard anything bad about the icons doing this but I did see a thread, can't remember where I think on here somewhere, that someone was having issues similar but with the kings. I'll try to find it for you. I did notice some play in my driver side upper ball joint but non in the passenger this last time I had it apart. I found some very well priced UCA on eBay claiming better strength and adjustment for 2 to 4 inch lifts/leveling kits I'm going to try and then also replace lower ball joints. Hopefully it helps

Fun stuff right there. Let me know the outcome as you throw parts and pieces at it.

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put in new Fox 3.0s on the front and I've got the clunking going on. At 128k though and based upon the level of carnage my wife's MKX suffered after 2 yrs in CO I am going to assume that replacing ball joints and hubs is in my near future. I am thinking that new lower shock bolts might be in order also. Not sure what the wear level is on them but they have to stretch a little and wear some over time due to the high torque requirement and function. I'm wondering if that is the source due to most aftermarket upgrade shocks having metal bushings and I'm sure they are machined with a factory fresh bolt spec vice a stretched and worn bolt diameter in mind.