2017 RAD events – Area 51, Salton Sea, Mammoth, Pony Express, Black Rock, and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Instead of making a post for each event, I am going to make one post that lists all the events for the Road Adventures Club. This way you can subscribe to the thread to get event reminders and see post run reports and images in one spot. This is also to make sure we are a good forum supporter by keeping the post clutter down to a minimum and it allows us to post all the disclaimer stuff in one spot.

2017 Event Dates:
---------------------------------------------
March 4-5 – Black Rock Desert / Lovelock Mines
April 7-8 – Salton Sea / Ocotillo Wells
May 19-20 – Area 51 – Vegas to Vegas
June 24-25 – Test and tune / Dirt days
July 14-16 – Pony Express – Salt Lake to Carson City
August 18-20 – Mammoth Volcanic Trails
September 8-10 – Pismo Beach Dunes
October 13-15 – ROC Fest – Barstow

Events will be posted to this thread on how to sign up.

Disclaimer:
These are pay your own way events. This means even I, the organizer, pays my own way to attend. Organizing drives is my hobby, and I enjoy organizing and hosting events for fellow enthusiasts. I pay for the website and store system out of my own pocket to make sharing information and registering easier on everyone.

Expectations of participants.
Our trail runs are planned around having fun, seeing sites, and traveling specific amounts of mileage per day / event. This means you, the participant, are aware of the miles needing to be covered per day and that you are expected to cover these miles in a reasonable time frame. Our group is NOT a "fly as fast as you can" group, but at the same time we are not a crawler group. We enjoy off roading with all types of trucks/SUVs , therefore the routes and daily mileage requirements are selected with non-modified 4X4 vehicles in mind. By signing up, you understand we ask that when the trail conditions allow, you drive at a safe pace that allows you to cover the terrain / distance as expected by the group.

Recommended gear
-----------------------------------
Boefang U5R Hand Held VHF Radio – OR - 50 watt VHF Radio
2 full size spares (Depending on trip / 1 is minimum with plug kit)
Off road GPS setup
- Lowrance GPS Unit
- Android – Backcountry Navigator
- IOS – Motion X
Tow Straps
5 Gallons of Fuel
GPS mileage APP or Lowrance overlay
- Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ee.planet.kaupov.gpstripmeter
- IOS - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rally-tripmeter/id1063654075?mt=8

-----------------------------------
We are looking forward to seeing all the old faces on the trail as well as meeting new people who enjoy going out on desert trail runs.

For more details see the club website at : Road Adventure Drives

PED_3rd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AWESOME!!! I tried to make it out last year to Area 51 with you guys after Trip Aces, but was unable to. I look forward to running Area 51 with y'all this year!

Last edited:

marcomilano77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be at Salton sea! See you guys there.
I found the Gaia GPS topo maps app for IOS. It has much better reviews than the Motion X. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So no pre-running the harder runs... WHAAAAAA.

I will shoot you a email for when we go up. Will be next month to get past rain

Lugnut2683

Reaction score
Thanks for putting these runs together man! My wife and I are looking forward to joining this group on the Black Rock run, which will be our first desert run out here since moving to California.

This is one of the major appeals for me having grown up in Virginia. It's a different kind of off-roading out here, and I've been waiting for the chance to enjoy the Raptor in the desert. :head3:

Appreciate the use of your shop as well - Paul rebuilt my Fox 2.5's a couple weeks ago. Truck is running great, but I'll probably add a bumpstop kit prior to this trip.

Can't wait!