GEN 2 Top 15 Tonneau Covers - which do you have?

Which Tonneau do you have?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not waterproof, none of them are, but the RollBak is pretty water tight as they go. The biggest single problem as mentioned above, as that once the drain tubes plug, and they will after a few years, the canister holds water, then when you retrace the cover, put all your stuff in the bed, and then pull the cover out, it's literally dripping wet right onto all of the stuff you'd like to keep dry, thus my decision to try a true tri-fold on the new truck.
The extang solid fold and soft trifold have been water tight on both my trucks.
You missed DiamondBack covers. The best IMO.....

Extremely weather resistant. The most durable. Most versatile.
Agree. The top 15 is lacking the DB, a relativity new brand
And Extang, one of the top brands when it comes to tonneau covers.
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

Scubasigguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had Peragon covers on my last three trucks. They are retractable, work great, inexpensive, locking, can be color matched and excellent customer service. Will do the same for the Raptor.
https://www.peragon.com/ford-truck-bed-covers/

I have wondered about this cover for a while now. I was on their webpage a minute ago and came here to see if there were mentioned at all. I have had ReTrax on my last couple of truck, and they are great except that removal can be a bit of a pain, and they can get knocked out of alignment. My question about the Peragon involves the fact that you can't really open it with items inside since it folds downward. Doesn't that get inconvenient when you want to access something closer to the cab? Also, how secure is the locking mechanism?

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have wondered about this cover for a while now. I was on their webpage a minute ago and came here to see if there were mentioned at all. I have had ReTrax on my last couple of truck, and they are great except that removal can be a bit of a pain, and they can get knocked out of alignment. My question about the Peragon involves the fact that you can't really open it with items inside since it folds downward. Doesn't that get inconvenient when you want to access something closer to the cab? Also, how secure is the locking mechanism?

I access mine all the time with things inside. It folds downward but it accordions within the first foot of the bed and rides on down rails built to the side. Check out the video on the website and you may see what I mean. If you have something large in the first foot of the bed closest to the cab it may be a bit of a issue. Regarding the security I paid the extra $29 and got the double lock which is a very sturdy steel rods that slide into both sides when you turn the key. It is the only one I have tried. I cannot speak to how strong the single lock is as I have never tried it.
Tone

yarom

Reaction score
I just had a new Bak Industries , Rollbak, installed.

In one word - utter crap (OK, maybe two words).

I am so sorry I got this and not one of the high quality ones, like Pace Edwards, or even Retrax.

Tolerances are not existent. The cassette is made from flimsy plastic, that is all wavy, not well bonded to the end caps and was cracked when unpacking (shipping box was intact).

All fits and finishes are raw, poor and loose. As is, that cover will leak plenty on day one. Had to add a pile of sealant strip and gasket material to plug some giant gaps.

This was installed by a professional crew that has done hundreds of covers (rack n' road in Bellevue, WA) and they could not believe how poorly it was made.

So do yourself a favor, just because it's a big company that sells a lot of covers, does not mean they are any good. Certainly not in this case and certainly not for the Raptor. Absolutely spend a little more and get a high quality product, which this one is not..

Bak Industries RollBak
Looks good and has held up well over the past 6 years, though I'm choosing not to put the same one on the new Raptor.
The canister that the cover rolls up into does eat up a decent amount of bed volume, and with only a 5.5 foot bed to begin with, loosing an additional 9 inches or so has been a problem in the past.
The system is very water resistant, but despite the design including drain tubes, the canister still fills up with water as the cover ages and the drain tube inlets become clogged with debris, and it will slosh out into the bed or finally dribble out of the drain tubs as you drive.
Just looking for something different to try with the Raptor.

Attachments

• IMAG0671.jpg
    IMAG0671.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 261
  • IMAG0672.jpg
    IMAG0672.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG0676.jpg
    IMAG0676.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMAG0678.jpg
    IMAG0678.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 250

yarom

Reaction score
BakFlip Rollbak Review -

I am so sorry I got this and not one of the high quality ones, like Pace Edwards, or even Retrax.

Tolerances are not existent. The cassette is made from flimsy plastic, that is all wavy, not well bonded to the end caps and was cracked when unpacking (shipping box was intact).

All fits and finishes are raw, poor and loose. As is, that cover will leak plenty on day one. Had to add a pile of sealant strip and gasket material to plug some giant gaps.

This was installed by a professional crew that has done hundreds of covers (rack n' road in Bellevue, WA) and they could not believe how poorly it was made.

So do yourself a favor, just because it's a big company that sells a lot of covers, does not mean they are any good. Certainly not in this case and certainly not for the Raptor. Absolutely spend a little more (this product was over $1000) and get a high quality product, which this one is certainly not..

Attachments

• IMAG0678.jpg
    IMAG0678.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 217
  • IMAG0676.jpg
    IMAG0676.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 230
  • IMAG0672.jpg
    IMAG0672.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMAG0671.jpg
    IMAG0671.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 212
D

Deleted member 12951

BakFlip Rollbak Review -

So do yourself a favor, just because it's a big company that sells a lot of covers, does not mean they are any good. Certainly not in this case and certainly not for the Raptor. Absolutely spend a little more (this product was over $1000) and get a high quality product, which this one is certainly not..

RollBAK Tonneau Cover Overview

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

If anyone is looking at covers for their GEN2 or GEN1, I will beat any of those "Best Deal" posted by the OP if I can get em, even Amazon.

Send me a PM, even if you are just curious what I can do. And just think, you will be supporting an FRF forum vendor.

StrikerHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So do yourself a favor, just because it's a big company that sells a lot of covers, does not mean they are any good. Certainly not in this case and certainly not for the Raptor. Absolutely spend a little more and get a high quality product, which this one is not..
Wow, that's complete and utter crap without a doubt. I can tell you my RollBak did not look like that. Almost makes we wonder if you weren't sold a cheep knockoff. The installers should have simply sent that unit back as scrap as soon as they'd opened the box and seen it's condition. Send those pictures to Bak Industries and see if they'll send you a new replacement AND cover the cost of having it reinstalled. See if they stand by their products.
Good luck.