3.0 Shocks Adjustable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So have we determined whether or not the new 3.0's are adjustable or not yet?

I spoke with somebody at Fox yesterday and the 3.0s are not adjustable. In fact, I was told by Fox that they are prohibited from modifying the 3.0s on the new 2017 Raptor per an agreement with Ford. They can obviously rebuild them to factory spec, but they are not allowed to recalibrate. In order to get that done, he told me I would have to go to an independent shop, but doing such would void the warranty. All that said, he did state that they will be coming out with an adjustable version of that shock, but he couldn't provide a date or price.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 3.0s are pretty much the same as the 2.5s in regards making adjustments. you have to tear them apart to do it.

Best mod to them is to a shim change to allow the shocks to have better performance. The 2.5s have a lot more performance in them then most think. 3.0 will of course have more if some minor changes made.

So food for thought that when you need to rebuild the shocks, do a shim upgrade.

Spankdog

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like it would be a difficult job. Fox, King, and ADS all sell shocks with adjustment knobbed reservoirs. Could be wrong but I don't believe any of them have rebound adjustments though. Fox sells 2.5" shocks with DSC (dual speed compression) knobs on the resi for sure and I would assume they have a 3.0 version also. Maybe just not in the Raptor configuration. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the adjusters basically just control the speed and volume of oil into and out of the resi. If that's right then there shouldn't be an issue with swapping an adjustable resi onto the Raptor 3.0 shock. You would loose the shock warrantee I'm sure but it would be pretty badass to be able to turn them down for a plush street ride and then crank them up when you want to mash off road

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The part everyone is missing is that for both the Gen 1 and Jen 2 fox has specifically set up the shocks for Ford with a major goal: Longevity. They have valved the OEM shocks so that you have a longer interval between needing rebuilds over the ones they sell direct to consumers.

When you revalve the shocks you can tune them for better performance but also be aware you probably will need to rebuild them more often. If you get a set of adjustable 3.0's you will find the rebuild interval listed by Fox is way less different than the OEM shocks.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Doesn't seem like it would be a difficult job. Fox, King, and ADS all sell shocks with adjustment knobbed reservoirs. Could be wrong but I don't believe any of them have rebound adjustments though. Fox sells 2.5" shocks with DSC (dual speed compression) knobs on the resi for sure and I would assume they have a 3.0 version also. Maybe just not in the Raptor configuration. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the adjusters basically just control the speed and volume of oil into and out of the resi. If that's right then there shouldn't be an issue with swapping an adjustable resi onto the Raptor 3.0 shock. You would loose the shock warrantee I'm sure but it would be pretty badass to be able to turn them down for a plush street ride and then crank them up when you want to mash off road

Nope, first the rear bypass have adjustment knobs that you could not add to the factory units. Second the Adjustment knobs are on the res for the non OEM 3.0's but you don't have the the Shock body with the connection point for the external res connection. Also You would be missing the adjustable coil over to change ride height and lastly you would still probably need to revalve the shock to take advantage of the adjustability of the DSC system.

I have not seen a clear picture of the whole factory 3.0 but I would bet its spring seat is like the Gen 1's. If you look at the Gen 1 factory spring seat and then the Fox 3.0's with Res you will see the major difference in the shock body and top spring seat. Fox would have to make a custom part, change the spring seat and spring to retrofit a factory shock to one with a res.

So if you want adjustability buy a non oem 3.0 shock

Spankdog

Reaction score
Totally forgot that the rears are piggy backs. That's what I get for posting before I was fully awake. lol. And I should have guessed that the front COs would be of a design specific to the Raptor. Toyota did the same thing with the Bilsteins on the TRD PRO. Kinda wondering how they designed in the longevity and how it effects performance. The 2.5 Kings I had on my Dodge barely made it 50K before needing a rebuild and it definitely makes sense that Ford would need the OEM Raptor shocks to go a lot longer than that for warrantee reasons.

circafwsk8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW this raptor thing is crazy and has really evolved into something SPECIAL……..i thought gen 1 was bad, this gen 2 and its price is really going to bring the even dumber asses into the off road scene:ROFLJest: