Working on some paddle shifters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always been disappointed that the GEN 1 didn't ever come with any paddle shifters. Coming from my M3 with paddle shifters, a high performance offroad vehicle such as this should have something better than a switch on the shifter.
So I decided to work up a few ideas and enlisted a buddy from work to help model up a very early concept. Shown below.

PaddleShifter2_zpshe4udl7h.jpg

Still have some more details to work out but its a start.
Hope to print up a prototype soon to see whats works best in the truck.
Will also be ordering a multitude of varying switches to find the best switch that provides a good tactile feel.
End goal is 2 paddles. One on each side, with the left controlling the down shift and the right controlling the upshift. Also, paddles that are not intrusive but provide easy engagement with hands anywhere near the 3 and 9 positions.

Stay tuned!

Bonus pic:

PaddleShifter1_zpsqilzsave.jpg

Page 2 Update:

Small update. Just messing with the design of the paddle to spice it up a little.
Took a few ideas from one of new raptors paddles shifters and will work from that. (Shown below)
Also just stuck the model on a generic steering wheel to get an idea of what it would look like.
Next plan is to laser scan a 3d model of an actual steering wheel to get a much more accurate representation of the install and figure out the ergonomics.

PaddleShifterWithNewDesign1.jpg

PaddleShifterWithNewDesignOnSteeringWheel.jpg

2017-ford-f-150-raptor-paddle-shifter-details (1).jpg

PaddleShifterWithNewDesign1.jpg

PaddleShifterWithNewDesignOnSteeringWheel.jpg

2017-ford-f-150-raptor-paddle-shifter-details (1).jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

SDHQ offered these for the GEN1 but not sure if they still do or not. I heard that they didn't sell but they were around $1200

OP
OP
M3toSVT

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SDHQ offered these for the GEN1 but not sure if they still do or not. I heard that they didn't sell but they were around $1200

Yea, I saw them. Cant seem to find them anymore. That and I wasn't going to pay $1200 for them.
Probably why they disappeared. A better price point would have been $500. But they were too complex with the wireless connection to sell for that.

brc misfit

FRF Addict
Reaction score
wife has a 2012 M3. love the control you have with that M class steering wheel. never gave it a thought to have paddle shifters for my truck. awesome idea.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Confirming that they are no longer being offered by SDHQ. I'm pretty sure they were actually made by these guys, though...

http://mastershift.com/index.html

Yea, I saw them. Cant seem to find them anymore. That and I wasn't going to pay $1200 for them.
Probably why they disappeared. A better price point would have been $500. But they were too complex with the wireless connection to sell for that.

Have you considered waiting for the Jen 2 parts to see if you can just retro fit? Pretty sure the steering wheels are already on ebay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M3toSVT

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirming that they are no longer being offered by SDHQ.

Have you considered waiting for the Jen 2 parts to see if you can just retro fit? Pretty sure the steering wheels are already on ebay.

I have done some research on the GEN 2 but that route looks to need at the very least a whole new steering wheel.
I don't see any on ebay yet. Just some custom ones right now that run $2k.
Would like to get my hands on one sooner or later.

OP
OP
M3toSVT

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were the radio frequency paddles being mfgr'd by Mastershift if I recall correctly. Maybe just contact them direct if SDHQ doesn't offer them anymore.

Paddle Shifters, Sequential and Electronic - ASaP

Side note I heard they weren't reviewed very well

I have scoured the multiple threads on the Mastershift paddles from their inception to final product. They were introduced for an introductory price of $999 I believe. Which I thought was still high even if they were wireless.

I plan to have these fully wired which will keep the price down significantly.
Tad more involved for installation but I think I can keep these relatively simple.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have scoured the multiple threads on the Mastershift paddles from their inception to final product. They were introduced for an introductory price of $999 I believe. Which I thought was still high even if they were wireless.

I plan to have these fully wired which will keep the price down significantly.
Tad more involved for installation but I think I can keep these relatively simple.

Noted, wired would be great.

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones from mastershift only worked on the 2011+, assuming yours will be the same, or is there a chance for the 2010s?