Transfer case Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

medic701

Reaction score
What oil do I use for the transfer case. I understand that the transmission uses ATF LV,
running a 2010 raptor 6 Speed Auto

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford specifies its proprietary transfer case lubricant and has never published its specifications. Given that, the safe bet is to go to the Ford parts counter and buy a quart. That's what I did.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This^^^ in part. SOME of the transfer cases require Ford Specific T-case fluid and SOME require Mercon V. According to my Ford sources, n easy way to tell which one yours requires is to look for the Ford oval logo stamped into the side of the T-case. If it does have that then it requires the Ford specific fluid, if not it requires Mercon V transmission fluid. Now, whether I was told correctly on that part of identifying that, I honestly don't know. But I do know that my 2011 Raptor T-cse required Mercon V while my 2014 Raptor requires the Ford specific fluid. The best thing to do is go to a Ford dealer parts department and have them run your VIN number to narrow down which one your specific truck requires.

OP
OP
M

medic701

Reaction score
This^^^ in part. SOME of the transfer cases require Ford Specific T-case fluid and SOME require Mercon V. According to my Ford sources, n easy way to tell which one yours requires is to look for the Ford oval logo stamped into the side of the T-case. If it does have that then it requires the Ford specific fluid, if not it requires Mercon V transmission fluid. Now, whether I was told correctly on that part of identifying that, I honestly don't know. But I do know that my 2011 Raptor T-cse required Mercon V while my 2014 Raptor requires the Ford specific fluid. The best thing to do is go to a Ford dealer parts department and have them run your VIN number to narrow down which one your specific truck requires.

Ok ill check it out and call them.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I have a 2011 and my owner's manual said to use Ford Transfer Case Fluid, so that's what I used. I have never had reason to distrust a vehicle's owner's manual until just now. Chris, are you dead certain about this?

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 and my owner's manual said to use Ford Transfer Case Fluid, so that's what I used. I have never had reason to distrust a vehicle's owner's manual until just now. Chris, are you dead certain about this?

I am indeed certain about this. I found out about this when I needed to service my 2011 and was in for TSB service of the drive shaft pinion yoke a few years ago and this was explained to me by the Ford Master tech doing the service on my Raptor.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I kinda think its just a case of developing a better job specific oil over the years. There is nothing special in the tc (like clutch plates etc) Mercon v works...but the t-case oil lasts longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro