transfer case ?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well here is the problem.
Driving the truck in 2wd everything works as it should. When you put it in 4wd hi or 4wd low it makes a LOUD popping/metal to metal noise when turning hard or very slightly. Im talking LOUD popping noise. When I disengage the 4wd the truck still wants to act like it's in 4wd as well. What is goin on here !?! Uhhhh

Thanks fellas

OP
OP
Reaction score
I thought cv's as well but was told by a mechanic it definitely wasn't my cv's. Iv heard of the iwe's but I don't know what that is. BTW thanks for your reply!

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A little more information is needed:

High or low range or no difference?
Speed when shifting?
Sitting still?
Under power, hard power, no power, light power when shifting?

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's the IWE's and has been happening for a while, you most likely have a vacuum leak. Get that fixed first (may be a line or the vacuum pump or both). Once that is done, do yourself a favor and change both hubs. Historically, if the IWE's have been popping for a while then the hubs are junk too. Putting new IWE's in with used-up hubs will just recreate the issue soon.

Good luck!!!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's the IWE's and has been happening for a while, you most likely have a vacuum leak. Get that fixed first (may be a line or the vacuum pump or both). Once that is done, do yourself a favor and change both hubs. Historically, if the IWE's have been popping for a while then the hubs are junk too. Putting new IWE's in with used-up hubs will just recreate the issue soon.

Good luck!!!

These trucks have vacuum pumps?