Got sideswiped, any advice or a pick me up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MCJEFE

MCJEFE

Reaction score
did op ever update this?
Appreciate all the support on here, it's been a trying few months but here's the update. I picked up my truck from the body shop yesterday. All told it was a little over 6 months after the accident when I took possession. I've put maybe 100 miles on it in the past day, it feels solid, possibly better than prior to the accident. Several suspension parts needed replaced due to the accident, I'm guessing that's why it feels tighter. Just under 25k in damage. I was very picky on the body shop, called several from San Antonio to Austin before settling on Hill Country Customs out of New Braunfels, TX. The metal fab on the cab repair appears to be flawless, if I didn't know about the accident not sure you could convince me it was ever in one. Color match is perfect. Gaps are on point, but I did ask them to reset the bed as I was supposed to pick the truck up earlier in the week but the gap between the cab and bed was a little off. To their credit they rolled it back in the shop, worked with it, and I picked it up 3 days later. I'm happy with the work and would highly recommend the shop. I even asked them to color match the fenders and bumpers (paid separately), which they also did a great job on.

The ordeal isn't over though. I hired an attorney for the diminished value claim. The insurance company originally offered $600 in diminished value which I was legit insulted by. I challenged them on it, they raised it up to $4500, I countered with 10k which they refused so I began threatening legal recourse. They called me on it, so I hired an attorney out of SA that specializes in these type of cases. I looked into the do it yourself diminished value services out there, spoke to one out of Georgia, but decided my best option was to pay someone else to handle it. Next step is to have an assessor come look over the truck to gauge the value now. Looks like the used car market has gone down a bit, but of the few sub 30k mile gen 1's out there the value hasn't dipped much. Of course I have a minor/major(?) accident on the title now, which clearly hurts value. Carvana says my truck is now worth $34,200, considering my truck was a mint 23k mile asset just prior to the moment of impact, I do not believe 10k in diminished value is unrealistic. I paid 55k for it in January 2023 when it had 17k miles on it.

I haven't taken photos yet, but the truck appears to have come out nice. I feel like I'm getting used to it again. I drove my Jeep 392 the past 6 months, which is a fun ride, but I am a lifelong truck guy. TX guy born and raised, I think it's in my DNA. If there is a silver lining, once I get passed the lawsuit I do believe this will open the door to a few mods that I probably would never have done when it was a mint gen 1 Raptor. First up will be wheels and tires, then I'm thinking long tubes, full exhaust, and tune. I'll probably upgrade the brakes, and after that I may go with a Whipple. Never had a s/c, kind of want to feel what that's like. All in all it feels good to have my truck back in the garage where it belongs.

That said, it's atrocious how someone carelessly disregarding basic traffic laws can derail your life. Undue stress, the fighting with insurance, the patience required, the anxiety in hoping you picked the right body shop, the anticipation as you get nearer to the day you get it back. Granted, we both walked away unscathed so ultimately that's what matters, but I'd so much rather the guy that hit me just stop at the damn stop sign and we both would have went about our merry way. Instead he lost his job, his livelihood (not of my doing), and I've spent an untold amount of my valuable personal time trying to chase down a satisfactory resolution. And the saga continues. Not cool. Truth be told it has made me question if it is worth it driving something as nice (and expensive) as these vehicles. I live in one of the fastest growing areas in the country. People are so distracted, I've had 3 friends get in fender benders since my accident. I can't imagine myself driving something simple, almost like a throwaway vehicle if something happens, but the thought crossed my mind.

I'll shut up and get off my soapbox, as you can probably tell I'm still irritated with the entire ordeal. If I have any advice to give it's don't accept any of the bs coming from insurance. Even my own insurance company sucks, I tried to file a claim with them to cover my bases and they sent me to a call center in India. No joke. One of the biggest names in US insurance outsources overseas to save money to their customers detriment. The lady was nice enough, but I literally could not have a conversation with her due to the language barrier so I just hung up. I already had a negative mindset on insurance before all this, I assure you it has not improved. That's the update y'all. For everyone that chimed in thank you, you folks please be safe out there as you are out enjoying these incredible machines.